User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Community of Austin
Prospects of an ACA affiliated ACC Student group?

About a year ago I tried with a sponsor from ACC, without success, to get a secular/science oriented student group at ACC. My small group of friends who are all secularists/atheists were not up to committing their time to this effort.

With groups like Campus Crusade for Christ, Atheists, Agnostics and Freethinkers do not have a voice at ACC. About 30,000 people attend ACC campuses! UT Has these organizations and were lucky enough to have Richard Dawkins guest lecture once! But I am not looking for something that glamorous.

IF someone would support something like this at ACC and are willing to spend time on it, what are the prospects of this group being affiliated with the ACA?

Are there members of the ACA and are ACC students that would be willing to at least talk about this?

http://www.atheist-community.org/activism/board.php

Contact me through this page, and I'll see what I can do. Frankly, I don't see a great deal of potential in a group at ACC, but, if you really want to give it a go, I may have some resources that could help you out.

Keep in mind that student groups have difficulties at universities that would be far worse at community colleges. The rotation of students is a large obstacle. Students tend not to stick around ACC for long, and it would be difficult to start and maintain an organization that will last there longer than the founding members. While there may be 30,000 students in total, There aren't nearly that many at any particular campus. Your active membership will be made almost entirely of only one or two campuses. Even with top-notch advertising saturation, you're likely looking at a small and inconsistent group.

Get me a plan of exactly what you want to do (group mission, structure, activity, etc.) and I'll get back to you.

-Shilling

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

From the officers:

The audio and video from Steve Bratteng's July 13th lecture are now available.