User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Community of Austin
Secular charities

There are many Non-religious aid organizations that do not incorporate a religious message into their operations or proselytize to those in need. Secular charities don't come with the rigid faith-based ethics, which can end up disadvantaging those in need

Some: Secular Humanism organizations and resources.

United Nations Children's Fund - UNICEF mobilizes political will and material resources to help countries, particularly developing countries, ensure a "first call for children" and to build their capacity to form appropriate policies and deliver services for children and their families. UNICEF provides emergency and disaster relief.

Doctors without Borders - Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters, and exclusion from health care in nearly 70 countries.

The Lance Armstrong Foundation - unites, inspires and empowers people affected by cancer.

Mercy Corps - Mercy Corps exists to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.

Amnesty International - AI's vision is of a world in which every person enjoys all of the human rights enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other international human rights standards. In pursuit of this vision, AI's mission is to undertake research and action focused on preventing and ending grave abuses of the rights to physical and mental integrity, freedom of conscience and expression, and freedom from discrimination, within the context of its work to promote all human rights.

American Red Cross - The American Red Cross, a humanitarian organization led by volunteers, guided by its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross Movement, will provide relief to victims of disasters and help people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. The USA's premier emergency response organization, over 91% of Red Cross spending is on charitable services.

Oxfam International - Oxfam International is a confederation of 12 organizations working together with over 3,000 partners in more than 100 countries to find lasting solutions to poverty, suffering and injustice. The Oxfams operate in over 100 countries worldwide working with local partners to alleviate poverty and injustice.

The Nature Conservancy - The Nature Conservancy is a leading international, nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving the diversity of life on Earth. An environmental group that protects natural habitats and the wildlife within them. Focuses on "science-based" initiatives.

The Union of Concerned Scientists - The leading science-based non-profit working for a healthy environment and safer world.

Anti-Discrimination - The ADSN Project - The Freethought Society of Greater Philadelphia's Anti-Discrimination support network (ADSN) is collecting narratives highlighting instances of bigotry against the non- theist community.

Womens Health Organizations - EngenderHealth - an international nonprofit organization that has been working for 60 years to make reproductive health services safe, available, and sustainable for women and men worldwide.

Electronic Frontiers Foundation - When our freedoms in the networked world come under attack, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is the first line of defense. Blending the expertise of lawyers, policy analysts, activists, and technologists, EFF achieves significant victories on behalf of consumers and the general public. EFF fights for freedom primarily in the courts, bringing and defending lawsuits even when that means taking on the US government or large corporations.

American Civil Liberties Union - The mission of the ACLU is to preserve all of constitutional protections and guarantees relating to First Amendment rights, including the freedom to practice religion and the freedom not to have religion rammed down our throats, equal protection, due process, and right to privacy.

We need more organizations that protect the rights of those who are in need of charity and do not want to have to listen to proselytizing in order to get food or medicine. We also a need more organization that protects the rights of minority religions and those that have no religion.

I found this article on the web titled "Give to Charity, not to Church" "The Church is funded from public money - they have no income of their own - but where does the money go? It goes into their rituals, their wages, their legal battles and their running costs and finally some of it escapes as aid to those who need it. The next time you decide to give to charity, make sure it is not a church, for you are funding ignorance and inefficiency." www.vexen.co.uk/religion/charity.html

I went to the new HEB and gave to the Capitol Area Food Bank. All you have to do is get a slip in the amount you want to give when you check out. It's easy, painless and real good thing to do.

If I was an atheist I would never give any of my money away. It would be foolish. You guys need to grow a pair and follow what you believe.

The only reason for helping other people is to do it in God's name. Now before you type out of emotion I hope you at least take 30-45 minutes to think about what I've said.

Mr. T > If I was an atheist I would never give any of my money away. It would be foolish. You guys need to grow a pair and follow what you believe.

Atheists don't have beliefs and if you were ever an atheist (like you claimed on the topic) "Atheists, how strong are your beliefs? (Test)" you would know that atheists are usually smart enough to give to those things that will do the most good. Why does anyone give to a church instead of giving directly to those in need? So, they can be blessed and praised. I think so! I say cut out the middleman.

Mr. T > The only reason for helping other people is to do it in God's name. Now before you type out of emotion I hope you at least take 30-45 minutes to think about what I've said.

Your kidding anyone that would ever spend that much time on anything you have ever said is just plain stupid.

The only reason anyone should gives to someone in need is because you want to help them. That is the only reason atheists give to charity since they don't believe they will be rewarded for giving.

That is not the case with the selfish, self-centered Holier than thou hypocrite who are putting on a show for everyone to see how compassionate, generous and kind they are. Without the audience they would never give a thing to anyone. Their mentality inspires self serving and stingy small-mindedness. They give to get a reward for themselves, and they don't help anyone without proselytizing. They only give if there is something in it for them.

"The only reason for helping other people is to do it in God's name." Why is that?

Compassion has been demonstrated to exist in many animal species, from elephants to dogs to primates. I wonder of all those creatures believe in God?

Mr. T obviously believes that only people who think as he does can feel love and compassion. He sees the rest of us as sub-human. We could not possibly possess a full range of human emotions because we are different. I am pretty sure I've run across this viewpoint before...in a history book. Oh yes, it comes up a bunch of times! Hmmm, wow, never seems to accompany acts we would call charitable does it? Mr. T's line of reasoning = FAIL. Thanks for playing Mr. T, better luck next time.

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

ustream.tv

Join us for the Bat Cruise Lecture, 1:15pm September 27th at Trinity United Methodist Church, at 40th and Speedway. Lecturers will be Richard Carrier and Chris Johnson.

The ACA Bat Cruise is set for Saturday, September 27th, 6-8pm. Purchase tickets in advance here.

The audio and video from Dr. Shahnawaz August lecture is now available.