User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Community of Austin
There was never a Lucifer, Satan or a devil?

Continued from "Why do atheists hate/disaprove of Christiany?"

I'm answering joec who said, "And what about church of Satan that believe the same crap xiana believe but believe that xians have it bwkwards?"

There was never a Lucifer, Satan or a devil? No! Lucifer Is A Misinterpreted Word. There was never any entity known as Lucifer the Devil or Satan, and the word lucifer in the King James Version is a misinterpretation of a word. There are many misinterpretations of Hebrew words and meanings and "lucifer" is just another one. The King James Version is based on the Vulgate, the Latin translation of Jerome. Jerome translated the Hebrew helel (bright or brilliant one) as the Latin word lucifer. This misinterpretation is why lucifer is thought to be the name for Satan. However, in Isaiah 14 the prophet is taunting the king of Babylon in the figurative language of the Hebrews a star was used to describe an illustrious monarch and the King referred to is the King of Babylon who surpassed all other kings in royal splendor. The passage is a song of derision over the downfall of a Babylonian king. The term lucifer is never used in Jewish legend. The term "a star" meaning a brilliant monarch was translated into Latin as "lucifer" by Christian writers who identified Lucifer with Satan. According to Luke 10:18 (Lucifer fell from heaven like lighting) consequently, Lucifer became one of the terms for the devil in Christian theology.

There are older Babylonian and Greek myths of a casting out of heaven of Phaethon. In 1927 Franz Xaver Kugler published an essay entitled "The Sibylline Starwar and Phaethon In the Light of Natural History." Kugler was a Jesuit scholar who had studied the cuneiform astronomical texts. His immense knowledge of ancient documents of celestial events, and the growing consensus of opinion that the Crater at Coon Mountain Arizona was in fact produced by a large meteoroid. This gave Kugler the scientific basis for his assertion that a large impact event in the Mediterranean Sea inspired the legends of Paethon. The comparison to the Phaethon myth (and the falling star) is obvious.

The myth asserts that Paethon the inexperienced pilot asked his father to let him drive the chariot. With rays about his head he rises early, his father, Helios, follows behind finally taking control of the reins after Phaethon falls from the chariot. The inexperienced charioteer balks nearly halfway across the sky and is not destined to make it to the west. He travels against the stars before being struck by a thunderous bolt as the Earth catches fire. Helios, in grief, refuses to bring light to the world. This is a reference to what is now known as a secondary event if a large asteroid impacts the earth. There would be a cloud of aerosols blocking the sun for long periods of time.

All of the ideas about Lucifer, Satan, demons and the devil come from ancient myths and misinterpreted words, and misunderstood celestial events. There is no reason to believe that there ever was a Satan or Lucifer since it is obvious that the word "lucifer" came from a misinterpretation of a word in a story about a king and (the falling star) part was first a mythological depiction of an astronomical event. No matter what the claims are that are made about Satanist or devil worshipers this is where the belief came from, it is part of, and equivalent to all of the myths that eventually evolved into Christianity. The term Lucifer is never used in Jewish legend; but Christian writers identified Lucifer with Satan. According to Gospel Title according to Luke 10:18 (Luke is not a name) and nobody knows who wrote it, Lucifer fell from heaven like lighting; accordingly, Lucifer became one of the terms for the devil in Christian theology. This story most likely came from the myth of Paethon. A belief in (lucifer, Satan, devil) or any mythological supernatural being is not atheism - no matter what anyone claims.

The concept of Lucifer and the many references to Satan in the New Testament come from Origen. Origen (no eyewitness) made the connection between Satan and Lucifer. He used different texts and put them together to unite Lucifer and the devil as one, and he used these texts to show that pride was what caused Satan's fall. However, ignorance is what causes anyone to believe that this has any credibility what so ever. Christians do not know the history of the use of the word lucifer. All they know is that Lucifer is Satan, and they don't question it any further. Tertullian (no eyewitness either) spread the myth that before Satan's fall he was the highest angel. The Lucifer myth primarily came from the teachings of three theologians, Origen, Tertullian, and Jerome. The book of Enoch is not the source of the Lucifer myth because it is a later document.

Ancient literature indicates that there were many variations and philosophies associated with myths about demons. Much of the terminology and belief in demons was traced to Mesopotamia, Sumeria, but the stories originated in the ancient Phoenician city-state of Ugarit. The influence of the Phoenician literature of Ugarit can be found in the Old Testament in the Hebrew works that were composed between the seventh and the third century B.C. Proverbs, Song of Songs etc. including the creation story. Besides the chief god at Ugarit there were lesser gods called demons. This was a polytheistic religion with gods and demons that do turnabouts. There were good or bad demons and good or evil gods. The monotheistic religions evolved from these early myths, and so did the evil spirits. Ancient religions mingled angel, spirits and demons. The opponents of God demon concept of Christianity was a left over from the demons of polytheism, but the Christian demons status as diabolic powers differs from that of the demons in polytheism, because demons in polytheism were not necessarily evil.

The myth of the doctrine of "Satan's Seed" comes from extremist Protestant propaganda that comes from the book of Genesis; it's a charming talking snake story that occurs in the Garden of Eden. What is even more fascinating is that Satan the devil took on the form of a serpent and had a sexual encounter with Eve, and Cain was the result of that encounter. The literature of Ugarit attests that the god of death, Mot, warns Baal not to boast "because you have smitten Lotan (Leviathan) the evil serpent, you have destroyed the crooked serpent, the mighty one of seven heads." A remarkable parallel to Isaiah 27:1 and the Garden of Eden serpent story in Genesis that explains why we are not mortal. The serpent was combined with the story of The Garden of Eden and after the ingredients are mixed it becomes an anti-Semitic story because this is how they account for the physical appearance and evil nature of certain races of people on this planet. It became a Christian anti-Semitic doctrine aimed at the Jews. Later this tale included all other races, but the original claim that all Cain's descendents are "Satan's seed" was aimed at the Jews that had been at war with the Romans and were finally defeated by the Roman Empire.

Ugarit has attracted much research since it is now believed to be the origin of much of the Old Testament. Since the 1970's the study of Ugaritian Texts has emerged as a discipline in its own right as the Rosetta Stone for understanding the poetry, parables and the meaning of words in the Old Testament.

There is definitely a devil and I have seen him!!! I saw him 35 years ago (about 1979 or 1980) while experimenting as I read a Buddhist book called Light of the Soul. This serpent lives in us! and it looks exactly like any serpent you have ever seen! He lives in the abdominal area of our body and sends "ideas" up from his location and up into our frontal lobe.

You'd better believe it because it's true whether you believe it or not. I've been studying this "presence" for over 35 years now. And he works continually by sending ideas up and into our brain, idea after idea, up and into our brain by way of a fog-like substance that was revealed to me in 2004.

I'm writing a paper. I started it in 2004 and should be finished when I'm finished. (God's timing, not mine)

RE: From: Gail (Posted Oct 10, 2013 at 6:56 am)

GAIL SAID:" There is definitely a devil and I have seen him!!! I saw him 35 years ago (about 1979 or 1980) while experimenting as I read a Buddhist book called Light of the Soul. This serpent lives in us! and it looks exactly like any serpent you have ever seen! He lives in the abdominal area of our body and sends "ideas" up from his location and up into our frontal lobe."

LINDA SAID: Thank you so much for taking the time to warn me about this fog- thing but I don't believe it Gail. Yeah, I don't believe in the Devil, Buddha or the fog- thing. I don't think the multiple gods of Hinduism can save anybody any more than the trinity which comes from numerous pagan religions; however, it's obvious religion makes people think and do crazy things.

GAIL SAID: "You'd better believe it because it's true whether you believe it or not. I've been studying this "presence" for over 35 years now. And he works continually by sending ideas up and into our brain, idea after idea, up and into our brain by way of a fog-like substance that was revealed to me in 2004."

LINDA SAID: Well, "You'd better believe it because it's true whether you believe it or not" is not proof of anythiug? The idea that something invisible is watching you and you must worship it and something evil will get you if you don't comes from ancient primitive custom.

GAIL SAID: "I'm writing a paper. I started it in 2004 and should be finished when I'm finished. (God's timing, not mine)"

LINDA SAID: Take all the time you want to because it's just B.S.

I don't know much about the Bible or other scripture, but what I read in your text makes since.

I've wondered for years how this serpent got to be part of our bodies? Are you certain it says Eve had sex with the serpent? Maybe this is the answer to "how" it came to be a part of us.

(I can't convince you of the truth I speak in this short article, but my experiences are hard to discredit. The serpent is not mythology. It's a living, thinking being that wants its presence to remain secret, like the Wizard of Oz hiding behind the curtain.)

Good Luck.

Hi Gail, I'm not sure what you saw, but as far as I know the only thing living in our gut is flora (bacteria.) We all have the capacity to be "good" or "bad" due to this being an imperfect world, not a snake in our bellies. I do think people have weird experiences, dreams, etc. that may have meaning or value to them, but as we see all too often on Youtube, people attribute ridiculous meanings to things all the time. Take Beyonce' and Jay-Z (losers) for example. Jay-Z uses all of the silly Illuminati posturing in his videos. But does that mean their baby is "the antichrist?"

RE: From: Gail (Posted Oct 10, 2013 at 7:03 am)

GAIL SAID: "I don't know much about the Bible or other scripture, but what I read in your text makes since."

LINDA SAID: You might want to read it all again because (I said) there was never any entity known as Lucifer the Devil or Satan, and the word Lucifer in the King James Version is a misinterpretation of a word. There are many misinterpretations of Hebrew words and meanings and "lucifer" is just another one. The King James Version is based on the Vulgate, the Latin translation of Jerome. Jerome translated the Hebrew helel (bright or brilliant one) as the Latin word lucifer.

This misinterpretation is why lucifer is thought to be the name for Satan. However, in Isaiah 14 the prophet is taunting the king of Babylon in the figurative language of the Hebrews a star was used to describe an illustrious monarch and the King referred to is the King of Babylon who surpassed all other kings in royal splendor. The passage is a song of derision over the downfall of a Babylonian king. The term lucifer is never used in Jewish legend. The term "a star" meaning a brilliant monarch was translated into Latin as "lucifer" by Christian writers who identified Lucifer with Satan.

See, these ridiculous ideas were based on their own ignorance and it was used to spread fear in order to keep people in line.

GAIL SAID: "I've wondered for years how this serpent got to be part of our bodies? Are you certain it says Eve had sex with the serpent? Maybe this is the answer to "how" it came to be a part of us."

LINDA SAID: No, I'm certain Eve never existed and neither did a talking snake. It was a talking snake. This is a myth and there are many versions, it's linked to original sin, which is a story fashioned to heap a huge amount of guilt on the human race, it's why man must constantly wage war against evil or the devil. People are told that they were saved from hell and the devil by the murder and torture of God's only begotten son (which actually contradicts the bible which states nobody can die for your sins) nonetheless, they are so grateful that they've been saved that they become delirious and do just about anything they are told, which includes worshiping an invisible god and fighting his enemy.

GAIL SAID:(I can't convince you of the truth I speak in this short article, but my experiences are hard to discredit. The serpent is not mythology. It's a living, thinking being that wants its presence to remain secret, like the Wizard of Oz hiding behind the curtain.)

Good Luck.

LINDA SAID: Someone's personal experiences are not proof, you need some tangible evidence. I've shown you how the story changed from one language to another. The devil is a tempter in every myth. He tempted Gautama Buddha by trying to seduce him.

Good Luck to you too - with that fog-thing in your belly and everything.

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

From the officers:

The audio and video from Steve Bratteng's July 13th lecture are now available.