User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Community of Austin
Atheists and X-mas

I was watching the show a week ago and I thought the accommodationist attitude the hosts Matt and Martin took on X-mas was not at least surprising. I am an atheist and I do not celebrate Christmas or any holiday for that matter. The reason is rational rather than emotional-- sorry to say the hosts do not share my point of view. I think people should have good reasons to do something rather than blindly accept it because everyone else is doing it. I am not religious nor am I a traditionalist. Now, of course Matt would probably respond-- as he often does-- with pseudo-intellectual-- wait I forgot this is the message board, so Don-- another one of the ACA's proud examples of what an uncritical atheist looks like-- will be responding. But Don reads from the same script as well, so let me predict the answer. " There is no reason why we as atheists should not celebrate Christmas. Is it the arbitrary name that bothers you. Fret not, X-mas is widely secularized, therefore it is okay to forget the its foundations". I have read a lot of stuff on here that makes me wonder about the intellectual fortitude and integrity of TAE. But for these people to drop their brains at a whim and patronize the views consistently-minded atheists for not recognizing this nonsense is beyond me. Oh, I can only imagine the bullshit response coming my way. But, I would not be surprised if there is not one.

Dillon, I know what you mean. I hate this time a year. I think it is a bunch a bullshit. It is disappointing to see atheists, especially those on this program thinking it's okay to celebrate. Why? I am not a hypocrite, so I think celebrating a holiday like Christmas is ridiculous and the TAE comments that people like us get hung up on the words is just accommodationist bullshit. There is talk of Matt Dillahunty debating Bill Craig. Matt, do yourself a favor--don't bother. You don't have a chance.

May I suggest a celebration for atheists to celebrate. I call it Anti-Holiday and on this day is the gathering of all traditional festive and holiday merch and then setting it on fire in a large bonfire. I call it The Bonfire of the Holidays. Seriously, atheists who accommodate religionists, traditionalists, and these bandwagon following morons deserve to be treated like one of them. I say we set this motherfucking world on fire and start anew.

This sounds familiar...

"Arise ye workers from your slumbers Arise ye prisoners of want For reason in revolt now thunders And at last ends the age of cant. Away with all your superstitions Servile masses arise, arise We'll change henceforth the old tradition And spurn the dust to win the prize."[...]

Written by: Eugène Pottier - Paris, June 1871 Music by: Pierre Degeyter - 1888,

The International

http://www.marxists.org/history/ussr/sounds/lyrics/international.htm

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

From the officers:

The audio and video from Steve Bratteng's July 13th lecture are now available.