User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Non-Prophets
I found this

I found this study http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/070424_religion_kids.html and I know it directly contradicts one that you discussed on the show. So if you have any knowledge about this it would be helpful.

In the study below, I'm not sure I find much to really support the claim that belief in the supernatural is the cause of well-behaved kids. I do see parental involvement, a structured environment, and consistent cultural messages to the kids. You would need to control for these non-religious factors to really make a claim about religion itself.

On a related note, there was a really good article in Scientific American a few years back about the moral development of children. One of the things it talked about was rule-based moral systems being far worse than value-based moral systems where the kid had to learn to reason about trade-offs. From what I remember, they even claimed that the rule-based moral system was worse than no moral teaching at all. Unfortunately, I don't still have the issue, but it's worth looking up if you're wanting to learn more about moral development.

--Don

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

ustream.tv

On Saturday, September 26th, our pre-cruise lecture will be from Heina Dadabhoy. The lecture will start at 2pm.

The annual ACA Bat Cruise will be Saturday, September 26 at 6pm. Order your tickets via our products page.