User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Non-Prophets
Philosophy of Science

I am new here, so please forgive me if I tread well-traveled ground. I am an atheist, raised RLDS (Mormon "lite"), who experienced a slow and relatively painless recovery that lasted into my thirties.

What I would like to hear, or even engage in, is a serious discussion of the philosophy of science and the positions the participants hold regarding it. I have read a number of posts that reference "the scientific method" without clearly delineating what the authors mean by this.

It appears to me, and I may be mistaken, that many of the participants here are from or have pursued technical vocations. Although I myself subscribe to a scientific method as the best reflection of "truth," I am curious to hear other responses to problems such as affirming the consequent or Mach's rather interesting critique of Newtonian physics.

Further, given the quite stark dichotomy between Bacon and Descartes, I'd be interested in anyone who might try to defend the notion that there exists a single "scientific method."

Kwnstr said, "am new here, so please forgive me if I tread well-traveled ground. I am an atheist, raised RLDS (Mormon "lite"), who experienced a slow and relatively painless recovery that lasted into my thirties."

The RLDS Church changed it's name; it is now known as the Community of Christ.

Kwnstr said, "What I would like to hear, or even engage in, is a serious discussion of the philosophy of science and the positions the participants hold regarding it. I have read a number of posts that reference "the scientific method" without clearly delineating what the authors mean by this."

Except for no belief in god/gods there is no official position on any other subject in any atheist group.

Kwnstr said, "It appears to me, and I may be mistaken, that many of the participants here are from or have pursued technical vocations. Although I myself subscribe to a scientific method as the best reflection of "truth," I am curious to hear other responses to problems such as affirming the consequent or Mach's rather interesting critique of Newtonian physics."

Einstein's Solution - General Theory of Relativity replaced Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation. What Einstein effectively achieved with general relativity was to extend the Special Theory of Relativity to include accelerating frames (using some of Galileo's principles), and from this developed his own theory of gravitation, which was published in 1915.

Kwnstr said, "Further, given the quite stark dichotomy between Bacon and Descartes, I'd be interested in anyone who might try to defend the notion that there exists a single "scientific method."

Science is best defined as a careful, disciplined, logical search for knowledge about any and all aspects of the universe, obtained by examination of the best available evidence and always subject to correction and improvement upon discovery of better evidence. What's left is magic. And it doesn't work. -- James Randi

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

Join us for the Bat Cruise Lecture, 1:15pm September 27th at Trinity United Methodist Church, at 40th and Speedway. Lecturers will be Richard Carrier and Chris Johnson.

The ACA Bat Cruise is set for Saturday, September 27th, 6-8pm. Purchase tickets in advance here.

The audio and video from Dr. Shahnawaz August lecture is now available.