User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Experience
Jesus as "Lord" and "Savior"

The people who go about, swinging this famous old sack o' potatoes don't know what it means. It's like a half-dream where you get on a bicycle and start panicking because you can't find your bag of fritos that you use to start it.

I never could quite understand what the "lord" bit should, does, or really even *could* mean in this day and land. No one who goes about slapping "Jesus: Lord and Savior" stickers on everything with their mind has any idea what the total subservience and mental flexibility of having a lord is. I mean this in the medieval sense. It's not working for what they want because you know; it's taking orders, fulfilling them, and eroding any pride in yourself you gained from the work.

As far as "savior", it's not really ever "done" to try to introduce to a possible convertee that they're in danger. One can't have a savior without danger from which to be saved.

Jared:

You brought up an interesting question - what is the purpose of religion - and what does it mean? I think that religion has always been a way to impress upon the masses that they need a master, and they need to serve that master. It also keeps them from rebelling against a master.

1 Peter 2:13: "For the Lord's sake accept the authority of every human institution, whether of the emperor as supreme, or of governors, as sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to praise those who do right."

Paul Romans 13:1: "Let every person be subject to the governing authorities; for there is no authority except from God, and those authorities that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resist authority resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment."

They are not just talking about obeying the law they mean obeying a ruler -no matter how ruthless or tyrannical.

Jared "I never could quite understand what the "lord" bit should, does, or really even *could* mean in this day and land."

The Christians that are "slapping Jesus on everything" say that they want this country to return to the Christian principles on which it was founded. They think that this country was founded on Christianity because the preachers and the teacher told them so. If they did a little research into American history they would find out that the men responsible for building the foundation of the United States had little use for Christianity, and many were strongly opposed to it. They were men of The Enlightenment, not men of Christianity. There never would have been a revolution if the Founding Fathers had been Christians. "For rebellion as is the sin of witchcraft." 1 Samuel, 15:23. If people would find out for themselves and not accept the "schooling" but read the real history - not the lies - they would find out that we are really going backwards.

Half a century after the establishment of the United States, clergymen complained that no president up to that date had been a Christian. In a sermon that was reported in newspapers, Episcopal minister Bird Wilson of Albany, New York, protested in October 1831: "Among all our presidents from Washington downward, not one was a professor of religion, at least not of more than Unitarianism."

Thomas Paine 'The Age of Reason' - "I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church."

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

Join us for the Bat Cruise Lecture, 1:15pm September 27th at Trinity United Methodist Church, at 40th and Speedway. Lecturers will be Richard Carrier and Chris Johnson.

The ACA Bat Cruise is set for Saturday, September 27th, 6-8pm. Purchase tickets in advance here.

The audio and video from Dr. Shahnawaz August lecture is now available.