User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Experience
Astral Projection

Listening to last week's podcast right now and listening to the caller who believes in Astral Projection. I myself experienced vivid, conscious out of body experiences over the course of several years. I absolutely experienced myself leaving my bed, walking across a room, and when attempting to interact with objects in the room (like the door), realizing that I was still in bed.

Further research I've done has convinced me that what I was experiencing was Sleep Paralysis, as described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Even though I am sure I was conscious at the time and perceived that I was leaving my bed and moving through my dorm room, it sounds like these are straight up hallucinations. (For example, though I perceived I was traveling into the next room, I sincerely doubt I would have been able to report how many fingers someone else was holding up had they been there.)

The experience was so vivid, I am completely convinced that this sleep related phenomena/mind state is what people who claim to have out of body experiences/astral projection are actually experiencing.

Just found the show recently and I'm really enjoying it!

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

ustream.tv

On Saturday, September 26th, our pre-cruise lecture will be from Heina Dadabhoy. The lecture will start at 2pm.

The annual ACA Bat Cruise will be Saturday, September 26 at 6pm. Order your tickets via our products page.