User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Comparative Religion
What do you think is your purpose in life?

Hello. I'm new here but I realy want to ask you... We've all gone through this phase in life, sometimes more often than others. But haven't you ever asked yourself, "Why am I on this earth"? What am I here for? Exactly just what is your purpose in life? P.S. Sorry If wrong section!

I've come to the conclusion that there is no reason or purpose. It's made my life become dull and depressing, especially after being a christian for 18 years, believing I had a purpose. But I find it's the truth. Many people say that they give themselves a reason to live, and I suppose I've done that. But a higher purpose for my life, or anyone else's for that matter? ...I find there is none.

Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. For most atheists this transformation did not take place until later in life. You take the responsibility and distinguish what you think is true and you evolve to a place where you no longer choose to believe anything on faith alone.

The idea that atheist's lives are meaningless is usually what the theists claim. Most of the people I know who leave seldom go back to being believers. The fact that atheists do not accept supernatural explanations is not debilitating. There are important questions about the validity of theism and the claims that they make, and that is the issue. I don't think it would be any harder to find people who don't have a worthwhile purpose in life that profess a belief in the supernatural.

What does playing games and being fooled have to do with having a purpose in life? What does belief in the supernatural do for having a purpose in life? It means you no longer have any reason to believe in the supernatural. However, it doesn't mean that there is nothing in life worthwhile. It means giving power back to yourself, and taking responsibility for your decisions in life. It means not being led by the nose, asking questions, and making decisions. You have no need to fear a non-existent supernatural devil, because we are responsible for our actions. For one thing, the mere fact that someone abandons religion does not mean that they have to have something to take its place. Some people need religion because of their need for everything to make sense, but in reality many things in life do not make sense. Everything doesn't always come out right. It's not a perfect world. If we can identify the things that we cannot doubt, and do not come from a belief without knowledge, then what is real will be there eventually.

It would be much easier if humanity accepted the fact that people have the right to decide what they think is true, but people who are indoctrinated at birth usually can't do that. They want a world where everyone is just exactly like them.

you obliviously don't know true christianity then. As a born again christian life isn't perfect because we live in a fallen world run by sin. We all have a purpose and only know what that is when we know God. One day the Lord will make a new world and heaven perfect where the saved will live for ever. As christians we need to tell people the good news about Jesus and about the consequence of sin which is hell. Don't live by your feelings but the word of God

Sorry, I missed this.

Richard said, "you obliviously don't know true christianity then."

If there is anyone on this planet that hasn't heard that stupid myth about the garden of Eden I can't imagine where they have been hiding. It's about the only way that illiterate sheepherders could explain why it was so hard to make a living when there was a wonderful glorious father in heaven and - oh sh*t were starving.

Richard said, "As a born again christian life isn't perfect because we live in a fallen world run by sin."

No we live in a world run by crooked politicians.

Richard said, "We all have a purpose and only know what that is when we know God. One day the Lord will make a new world and heaven perfect where the saved will live for ever."

If we are not going to try and clean up this mess until then I guess we will all be living in hell.

Richard said, "As christians we need to tell people the good news about Jesus and about the consequence of sin which is hell. Don't live by your feelings but the word of God"

Have you ever read the bible? God is telling people to rape and murder all the time. God is also killing people. God like (Nixon) when God does it - it is the law.

Imagine you sit in a small room with no door and a few things in it, for example a marble, a piece of wood, somethingsomething. That would be my metaphor for life in this context.

If you decide to do nothing in that room (analogy: people just living for survival and the usual cliché set of activities, e.g. bowling, "partying" (taking the alcohol-drug in groups), vacation), then that's of course an option, but effectively, that is not a choice but the default state. To do something else, *that* is the choice.

Now you asked for the purpose that life might have.

Take the few things that are in your room and make the most of it, don't forget that you yourself are a "thing", too, so "the most" refers not just to the best that could objectively be done with the items in the room but to the best that could *subjectively* be done. If there's a piano in the room and you might already have a slight ability, then making music might be one of the ways that you could take (and you can take several ways in parallel). In the case of music: To be an admired artist, one would have to be extremely able performer (pianist) or have a nice creative output or sell their soul to the music industry to take the cliché ride of bending over for the producers' masterplans behind the scene, popularity and maybe a load of money.

One would have to ask oneself what emotional tendencies are present, what abilities, and then look around and see what items can be found in one's room: Does the person know other musicians? Are there tools for carpentry? Does the empty sheet of paper and the pen invite the mind to play?

As always... energy-efficiency is the key decision. I mean, you can try to become a great pianist in a family of music haters who will throw obstacles at you etc. and still succeed. But since you are asking, I assume that you are *searching* for a direction that could be a good idea.

Look where the energy of your life flows to (as explained with the room example) and make the most of it. At start, you usually have to do some cleanup. Imagine you were an object with many strings attached. The strings pull on you, but you also pull on the strings. If all strings were pulling in one direction and you would like to go there anyway, go! If the strings are (that might be the norm) unorganized, sort them out, maybe again going for the strongest tendency. Once they all point into the right direction, enter the train, enjoy your ride.

Your metaphor for life…"a small room with no door and a few things in it"…. sounds like religion. The "default state" … "just living for survival" and other worthless endeavors. Speaking of worthless endeavors; what about listening to someone explain a book that even a stupid child could understand on Sundays, and not being allowed to challenge it's validity. Include waiting for the next life instead of doing something about this one as another worthless endeavor.

If we sit in this room without a door and pray to get out we might be there for a very long time. Some of us would make the most of what we have to cut a door and get out. Everyone should make the most of their abilities, but that's highly unlikely for those who are brainwashed. It's not your life that you are living it is someone else's idea of what your life should be. That might be why some people don't know the difference between an inanimate object and a human.

Many of us do not equate success with celebrity or wealth. Christian Rock is a perfect example; no talent jerks. If they weren't wearing crosses big enough to crucify a cat on their chest they wouldn't be allowed on a stage. The people who have contributed the most particularly in the field of art, music, or writing, have not been sold out whores, as a matter of fact most them were never recognized as masters in their lifetime, and many of them were very poor. Some were persecuted by religious tyranny. Of coarse it all depends on your definition of suck-cess. The book of Revelation describes a whore that sits upon many waters. Religion is the biggest whore that human history has ever seen.

Many things have strings attached; the objective should be not to get entangled with them. For instance, it's clearly the main goal of most charities to convert the person receiving help to Christendom. There are many worthy charities that do provide humanitarian relief that do not include proselytizing, but most people give to the one's that include proselytizing. Unfortunately, they are often the least effective charities because a great deal of the money goes to proselytizing. A generous gift would not include trying to force my beliefs on you because you are starving. Helping someone in need to gain membership in some religious denomination is disrespectful of the culture and dignity of the needy people whom they seek to convert. They are not helping eliminate the poverty in the world by sending charity packages to starving people in countries where huge multinational corporations are exploiting the workers. In many instances they are actually exploiting the uneducated to believe things will get better if they convert. When it will only get better if they form unions, and take their countries back. The truth of the matter is they care far more about converting people to their religious and political ideology than about helping people. This is a deceptive dishonest endeavor that I consider worthless, and it usually doesn't work. So many strings…and so little time!

I have to disagree that a stupid child could understand this 'book' you speak of. If the book you speak of is a bible, then I must people dumber than a 'stupid child', because I simply don't understand it. It is written in what I call broken English, and is FULL of contradictions, so....who REALLY understand that friggin thing?

QUOTE: "I have to disagree that a stupid child could understand this 'book' you speak of. If the book you speak of is a bible, then I must people dumber than a 'stupid child', because I simply don't understand it. It is written in what I call broken English, and is FULL of contradictions, so....who REALLY understand that friggin thing?"

The Bible was not written in English; not even "King James English"! Most of the books of the Old Testament were originally composed in Hebrew (with a few portions in Aramaic), while the entire New Testament was originally written in Greek (although some books may also incorporate Aramaic sources). Thus, what most people today read are not the original texts, but other people's translations of the biblical books. No original manuscript of any biblical book has survived! All of the texts original texts have been lost or destroyed over the centuries. All we have are copies of copies of copies, most of them copied hundreds of years after the original texts were written.

The clergy convincing the flock (illiterate sheep) that the bible is too complex for the average person to understand goes way back to the beginning of enslaving the masses with religion. It's one of the major ways to control the people and what they believe. If the people had thought that they could understand the scriptures they might have also been able to find out the truth and they couldn't have been enslaved. This is still being used on people today, but anyone who has any sense at all and knows how to read can study the bible and knows what is being said. But that does not make it true. A book can be total fiction (fairy tales) and still be understood. The idea that nobody can understand the bible without a "Holy" interpretation is both false and totally dishonest.

For centuries priests were the only interpreters of the scriptures. The excuse was that these writings were considered too "Holy" for the public to understand on their own. However, when the scriptures did become public, the public was smart enough to prove that they were false and forgeries. There have been many excuses over time, including complexity, to keep scriptures out of the hands of the public. But the real goal was to avoid independent study. There is plenty of evidence that the bible is both understandable and false.

The New Testament was written entirely in Greek, though parts may have been previously written in Hebrew or Aramaic and then translated. Obviously today we do not have the original manuscript, but copies of copies of copies. And these are not identical.

This is (in the bible) easy to understand and is obviously bogus: Ezekiel 26, the prophet predicts that Nebuchadnezzar would conquer and destroy the city of Tyre, and that it would remain desolate from that day on: This prophecy was a twofold failure. Nebuchadnezzar did besiege Tyre, but he failed to conquer it; he did not break down its walls or enter into its gates, as the Bible claimed he would. Alexander the Great did conquer it later, but he is not mentioned and was not the object of the prophecy. And neither of them destroyed the city permanently, as the Bible predicts. Indeed, Tyre exists to this day, on the same spot as the ancient city, and tens of thousands of people still live there.

Linda said: "Many of us do not equate success with celebrity or wealth. Christian Rock is a perfect example; no talent jerks. If they weren't wearing crosses big enough to crucify a cat on their chest they wouldn't be allowed on a stage. "

Just as a side note (and as a musician), I'd like to qualify your lesser-informed statement above. I appreciate where it's coming from, but when you have the time you should look up a musician by the name of Dann Huff: He's arguably one of the best studio guitar players, ever. He began his career in 'Christian' rock.

And I'm not sure he's really that much of an 'exception'. In general, throughout history, for better or worse, many of the bests artists and musicians have come from religious backgrounds. To what do you really have to compare? Have you ever seen Poison or Gun's n' Roses live? Blech, they suck.. bad. I really don't think either side of the religious coin has cornered the market on poor musicianship.

cbr125r,

Believe it or not, this actually made me laugh out loud. You need to stop deceiving yourself into the ridiculous notion that you can teach somebody something. You can't! You are not capable of teaching anything and you have absolutely no information concerning my musical qualifications. Were we supposed to think that there isn't any good music out there because cbr125r couldn't find it at a Poison or Guns N' Roses concert. Maybe you really don't know about the other side, and maybe it's really about you having an ax to grind. So, now you are a music expert? Judging from what you have written it's safe to say you haven't got a clue!

The criticism was about no talent assholes that are being used to shove some dumb religion down our throats. They exploit religion and so-called piousness (Christian grindcore) to get on a stage. They couldn't do it any other way! You dig? And yes, many of them drop the "Christian" label if they get anywhere because that label limits their appeal to audiences and what they can do artistically, but most of them are not great talented artists anyway. It's clear that you have no concept of what is an accomplished artist. I guess that's why you threw in a couple of real losers and said it was the other side.

cbr125r asks "Have you ever seen Poison or Gun's n' Roses live? Blech, they suck.. bad. I really don't think either side of the religious coin has cornered the market on poor musicianship."

Sorry Velcro buddy, but what you are saying is pure idiocy (bad 80's heavy metal music is not the other side. Poison's Brett Michaels (look at some Poison videos and count the number of crosses Michaels is wearing around his neck). Guns N' Roses 80's heavy metal - sleaze - another (no talent) act. The 80's were a very right wing era. Ronald Reagan ran up the debt more than any President in history "fighting communism" for no reason since the USSR was collapsing due to their war with Afghanistan - and not because of anything else.

The other side would be Metallica, Pearl Jam and Neil Young. "Hawks & Doves" from Neil Young's 1980 album was put to good use in the 2010 documentary "The Tillman Story" that begins with the title track from the 1980's album; and it's just a relevant today as it was then. The documentary is about the 2004 death of Pat Tillman, who was an atheist. He left the National Football League and became an Army Ranger. Pat Tillman was killed by "friendly fire" or "fratricide." "The Tillman Story" explains how the family of Pat Tillman worked for the past six years to expose the circumstances of Tillman's death and the extensive military cover-up that followed it. Which, by the way, reminds me of music legend John Lennon's 'Just Gimme Some Truth.' The lyrics "I'm sick and tired of hearing things from uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocrites. All I want is the truth. 'Just Gimme Some Truth.' John Lennon (for sure the other side) was an atheist who protested for peace in the 60's (he was harassed for years and then they tried to deport him) and was eventually murdered in the 80's.

The mark of a true artist is that their music stands the test of time; they do not rely on what they did in the past, and like John Lennon and Neil Young they don't sound like anyone else. For those of us who appreciate John Lennon's view of the world, before he was murdered, he said some important things about peace and about religious hypocrisy. People with ability and aptitude grow. They change because they learn and they grow over time. Music legends bridge generation gaps and stays around a long time - sometimes forever. There is nobody else that sounds like them - they are originals. They don't just "play music" they write, and they usually have something important to say.

When these manufactured stars (artists) get an award (some of them sporting crosses big enough to crucify a cat on their chest) and thanking god (god spends a lot of time on awards) because god blesses people with no talent if they obey. It's bribery. Look what Jesus can do for (brainwashed) no talent slobs without any point of view or talent!

This whole thing actually reminded me of Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows."

"Everybody knows that the dice are loaded. Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed. Everybody knows that the war is over. Everybody knows the good guys lost. Everybody knows the fight was fixed. The poor stay poor; the rich get rich. That's how it goes Everybody knows."

With one exception - brainwashed people who can't think for themselves.

I've been an atheist for all of my life, so I probably got a different position than most guys around this board. My parents never bothered me with religion, I never had to go to church or anything. They simply left me alone with all that stuff as long as I didn't ask for it (And I personally believe that this is the best thing to do when raising a child). I had the opportunity to evaluate religions and what they claim and conclude, that I do not need any of it. Especially a purpose in life. To me, the purpose of life is life itself. It strives to preserve it's own existence both on an individual and species level and that's pretty much there is. But I don't feel that this is a bad thing. I feel free to live my life the way I want, not bound to the expectations of some supernatural superstition and I want to live my life as extensively as possible. Especially since I do not believe that there is anything after death.

So you could say that my purpose in life is to live a life that I find fullfilled.

I'm in the, who knows camp. Since all the explanations that I have seen are unsupported by; logic, reason or proof - I prefer to just not know and am fine with that. If the answer to the meaning of life is found with all the evidence needed to scientifically prove it true, then I'd know. :)

Life is a melody of ups and downs, of experiences, of making the best of whatever ones reality is. We all come into this place with the unknown before us and then progress forward learning what is so or said to be so. I prefer to avoid explanations for things that cannot bear the burden of proof. I find the scientific method the most reliable measure of truth. However, I also like to magic and wonder of imagination. But what I imagine is not real until it is repeatable, measurable, and independently substantiated. The rest remains a wonderland of the dream world and what's left is real only there.

"Why am I on this Earth?" - Because my biological parents created me. "What am I here for?" - I don't know, they created me therefore I am. I just live on and see what life has to offer me. For me there is no ultimate purpose in life.

My purpose is to save the Christians.

Saving the Christians, thanks for bring that up …a noble purpose, relieving to hear someone is saving the sparse number of Christians from all those atheist.

I bet there's more than one moron that would be happy to become your follower …I'll get on that right after I get my Phd in farting. What utter garbage.

And many morons are already your followers.

I love how atheists claim to be morally superior and insult and put down theists, especially (well i have a liberal view) that they haven't interpreted the bible correctly. when i read the bible i make a distingtion between what jesus, and god handed down and said and what god inspired or was the word of god. my interpretation is that while even in the old testement it seems as if god promoted slavery and such he didnt but he promoted the idea of good. good is an idea and i may be taking a platonic view on this but i agree that everyone has a different view of what good is, back then this was good and i believe in corruption of the mind. this is where immoral acts are done that corrupt your mind, an example is you have a conscience but if you went out and killed someone although you would initially feel bad, your much more likely to do it again. if you go out and steal then your more likely to do it again as your conscience isn't as noticeable, i call this corruption of the mind, each sin we do slowly corrupts our mind. sin is going against what is good and giving into temptation. what we consider okay they might not, i believe sin is doing what you feel is not okay and so further corrupting your mind. i also have a view that noone goes to hell as jesus saved everyone and so we are all saved.

if you wish to counter my beliefs go ahead, but i laugh how your excuse for not believing in god is there is no proof, and counter argument for there is no proof against is it is for us to come up with the proof as you cant disprove god for your pitiful example. i really hope people on here have developed their intellect past this argument and realised that god isnt contingent - that alone means that its for the ATHEISTS to prove that he doesnt exist OR prove thats hes contingent in which case it is for us to prove his existance.

Newchap,

You go by the God of the bible, so do you believe literally everything that it says or do you pick and choose what to believe? Because that's what it sounds like to me. As simply as you can pick out the "good" things, when I read passages from the bible I learn about death, torture, cruelty especially against women and children, and genocide. I learn of all the wicked things this God is said to have inflict upon humanity, either directly or indirectly inspired by the god you don't mind worshipping. That's the problem of evil that your biblical god has to deal with. Not only that, but do you also believe that it is "good" and moral for your god to allow the torture and eternal suffering of a person's soul or the thought that someone burning alive forever gives you some satisfaction? If you believe this is righteous, you are as horrible as the god you choose to believe. And if you say you don't attribute these qualities to your God than you really don't believe in the god of the bible, but you own god you have arbitrarily made up yourself. If you believe that because I or anyone else that don't believe in your god of the bible, the only unforgivable sin clearly spelled out, "Whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin." is worst than a murderer, thief, pedophile, rapist than you are clearly delusional. I think the Bible god you choose to believe is repulsive and is a product of mans dark deprived mind. The proof for NO GOD is the lack of evidence for any god.

Newchap said, "I love how atheists claim to be morally superior and insult and put down theists, especially (well i have a liberal view) that they haven't interpreted the bible correctly."

Saying something doesn't make it true. Christians try to use Christianity, that they know very little about, to prove their superiority over any other religions and non-believers - atheists. It's the Christians who claim moral superiority based on their belief in their savior God man Jesus and the Bible. That is the only reason for their claim of moral superiority over atheists. It's interesting the alleged (savior God) Jesus would have used sheep to describe his followers because (as we all know) sheep are raised to be fleeced or lead to slaughter.

Christianity is totally based on the belief that Jesus was God's Son, born of a virgin, sacrificed for the Salvation of man and this is unique to Christianity. The sacrificed virgin-born Savior Son of God, Jesus was not unique. Not even maybe. The Jesus myth can be found in many other myths about savior Gods and they are (not unique) they are comparable.

Mithra was born of a virgin mother on December 25th. He came from heaven to be born as a man, to redeem men from their sin. He was known as a Savior, Son of God. Mithra was a teacher who traveled far and wide with twelve disciples. He was buried in a tomb from which he rose again from the dead. Mithra originated in Tarsus, the apostle Paul's hometown. The Last Supper came from Mithra.

"Thou shalt not delay to offer the first of thy ripe fruits, and of thy liquors: the firstborn of thy sons shalt thou give unto me." Exodus 22:29

This makes it clear that Ugarit is where the Old Testament came from where human sacrifice was part of the religion and it is still in the Old Testament. The Molech cult practiced (child) human sacrifice.

Newchap said, "when i read the bible i make a distingtion between what jesus, and god handed down and said and what god inspired or was the word of god. my interpretation is that while even in the old testement it seems as if god promoted slavery and such he didnt but he promoted the idea of good."

Jesus did not ever speak out against slavery. No apostle or any Church father ever opposed slavery.

"And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes." Luke 12:47

I don't think anyone can escape the facts with an itinerary of metaphorical excuses, because how then can anyone be sure that they know what really happened or the truth of the matter. Christianity came about to merge all the existing religions into one. Constantine wanted to conquer the world by bringing together all religions into one new religion in a Jewish and gentile culture. There were hundreds of gospels and pagan cults, and Christianity is a combination of all of these. Christianity was a religion devised by Paul of Tarsus (who had friends in high place in Rome) with the intentions of replacing the Jewish God and Pagan Gods by assimilating all religions. All that anyone needs to do is look at the history of Christian/pagan theology and anti-Semitism. The persecution of any other religion and the genocide and imposition of Roman's religious authority.

Morality is based upon what God commands. No other reasons are needed but that God so commanded it. If God commanded it, then it is right. If God forbids it, then it is wrong. Socrates asked this question: "Is conduct right because the gods command it, or do gods command it because it is right?"

"And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free: Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever." Exodus 21:5-6

Newchap said, "good is an idea and i may be taking a platonic view on this but i agree that everyone has a different view of what good is, back then this was good and i believe in corruption of the mind. this is where immoral acts are done that corrupt your mind, an example is you have a conscience but if you went out and killed someone although you would initially feel bad, your much more likely to do it again."

There are very few Atheists serving prison time for any crime. The prison population is predominately Christian. Maybe you should spend some time looking for facts.

"And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the LORD they God hath given thee, in the siege, and in the straightness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee:" Deuteronomy 28:53. I guess if you eat your own children you might be likely to do that again too. Actually the Bible has given many people the excuse to do evil and to justified.

Newchap said, "if you go out and steal then your more likely to do it again as your conscience isn't as noticeable, i call this corruption of the mind, each sin we do slowly corrupts our mind. sin is going against what is good and giving into temptation. what we consider okay they might not, i believe sin is doing what you feel is not okay and so further corrupting your mind."

The Christians were originally a very small religious group of illiterate uneducated people from the lowest social classes, operating in the shadowy sides of society. Once their religion was merged with the Roman Empire they ravaged all other religions and their temples and the Christians gathered souvenirs and trophies from the holy pagan places they leveled. Bishop Theophilius organized boisterous mocking-processions with these trophies through the streets of Alexandria.

Newchap said, "i also have a view that noone goes to hell as jesus saved everyone and so we are all saved. if you wish to counter my beliefs go ahead, but i laugh how your excuse for not believing in god is there is no proof, and counter argument for there is no proof against is it is for us to come up with the proof as you cant disprove god for your pitiful example. i really hope people on here have developed their intellect past this argument and realised that god isnt contingent - that alone means that its for the ATHEISTS to prove that he doesnt exist OR prove thats hes contingent in which case it is for us to prove his existance."

Your faith is based on a God that cursed you and wanted to burn you. You believe that there is a hell but nobody is going there. It's just there? You also believe in a pagan god/man human sacrifice that will keep you from burning in hell if you believe all that garbage. Otherwise your God (who loves you) is going to burn you forever.

According to the New Testament John 3:36: "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life and he that believeth not in the Son shall not see life; but the wrath." Christian theology firmly believes that if you do not believe in Jesus you are going to "burn in Hell." I'm sure those threats work on ignorant illiterate people.

There are people, who search for answers, and that is why they can speak truth; you are not one of them.

i don't think there is some intrinsic purpose to life. everything i do will not, at some point be weighed and measured (except by me, while i live and breath and maybe by others that deal with me while they live and breath). it will not be accounted for (except by those that live with me). no one will sit in judgement after i am gone and sum things up. thanks to that, in MY time, while I live, i can give the reasons for it.

tragicslip,

I agree we are 100 percent responsible for what we do. Nevertheless, therein lies the problem; dogma provides a way to avoid responsibility. It provides people with alibis "god told me to do it" or "the devil made me do it."

Baptism "washes sins away" "people are saved from their sins" and completely changed. Even though it is obvious that the very people spreading this nonsense didn't change one bit, but that doesn't matter. Getting baptized means never having to say you're sorry for things like railing out against gays and then renting a boy.

I have been on this rock for over thirty years and have in the military for ten of them. What I do is not pretty, but I cannot think of doing anything else worth my time. If there is an objective truth out there I am not interested. I am not interested in gods, heaven or hell, and all the B.S. about living for ever. I have seen too much of humanity to care about them, let alone live with them for an eternity. Meaning is subjective. Of course, you could use some philosophical bullshit to claim your perspective is better or more valuable then mine but I don't give a shit. The truth is, talk is cheap and most people I know are full of it. I truly do agree with Socrates when he said " the unexamined life is worth living". But, that does not mean shit when you got to survive day to day to stay alive. If your some dumb teenager in the suburbs of America-- yeah a bit of contemplation may not hurt-- but if you got people trying to kill you to hell with right or wrong you waste the the SOB.

Happiness! I think the Buddhist philosophy has it pretty accurate when it comes to this kind of question. Happiness may not be a good answer to if atheist can have some kind of larger meaning in life, but happiness is the underlying driving factor in everything that humans do. We are all trying to obtain some kind of basic primitive happiness and or contentment, and this is what I believe my personal meaning in life is. It may sound selfish at first, but true happiness to me also means helping others achieve their own happiness.

I think if you boil down all the reasons why a person does somehting, anything in their life, it is in an effort to simply be happy.

procreation, no different for any other animal

with that being said, why must there be a reason for a life? because if you truly look at the world it's not a pretty place to be(the planet as a whole). you have to come up with your own way and purpose of life.

for the matter why is this question only subjugated only to humans?

on a final note, having a purpose is no different form having ambitions

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

ustream.tv