User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

General Discussion
If Man was an orphan?

Some Christian apologist proclaim, "Because God gave man free will, this is why He cannot show himself and it is you who needs to find Him."

Analogy to this could be if a parent abandons their child or puts them up for adoption. The child then grows up realizing that they had to go through life without that parent being around physically to guide them through their life. Even though the parent was not around, supposedly a letter from that parent was given to that child about how they should live their life and that they loved them. If years later when the child is now an adult they do not follow what was demanded of them in that supposed letter or disagreed with what was written, is that child wrong for not obeying a letter of this supposed parent that abandon them. Let's imagine that when this child was old enough to search for the parent that left them, they chosen not to. Is this child wrong for not doing so? Is it wrong if that child decides to doubt how a parent could love them if they were able to casted them out? Is it possible that the child grew up not interested in finding that parent because they find no reason to or they grew up perfectly fine without having to? Let's say the child did want to know who this person was who casted them away, but couldn't because they were given incorrect information about their whereabouts. Maybe through their search they met someone that claimed to be their real parent and because they believed this person they had no reason to look further. And let's say that they wanted so much to believe that they found their real parent and did not need evidence like DNA testing to prove it or was so convinced that no inconsistency, contradiction, or rationality would sway them otherwise. No matter rather this child did not choose to or for whatever reason was not able to find the one true parent that abandon them so many years ago, how is it justifiable for this dead beat parent that left them as a child to say," Because you did not find me, it is your fault. Because it was your choice not to find me I will pass poor judgment on you and punish you. And because I have the authority to judge you wrong, I will also send you to a place where you will suffer for your failure of not finding me." How can one possibly agree that this parent can pass judgment on the actions of a child that they abandoned? How is it moral that this parent is "good" for not showing themselves to this child after years of waiting, but also claiming it is the child that is responsible for figuring out where to find them?

To further add to this ethical premise, what if this child grew up to have kids of their own? Is it rational or moral to pass along this obligation of finding the real dead beat parent to future bloodlines and failure to achieve this task also justifiable in sending them to the bad place? If you're religious and agree that the abandoned child is not responsible for the actions of a detached parant, what reason do you have that a god can act this way and be moral. Why must the standard for God's behavior be different than the standards of moral behavior you set for yourself?

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

ustream.tv

Join us for the Bat Cruise Lecture, 1:15pm September 27th at Trinity United Methodist Church, at 40th and Speedway. Lecturers will be Richard Carrier and Chris Johnson.

The ACA Bat Cruise is set for Saturday, September 27th, 6-8pm. Purchase tickets in advance here.

The audio and video from Dr. Shahnawaz August lecture is now available.