User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

General Discussion
Estranged from Xtian family...

Has anyone been estranged from your family for a long period of time?

When I was in my early 20s, my parents went batshit crazy and became fundamentalist Christians. They forced me to "come out" as an atheist and they made me feel so uncomfortable that I moved out of their house a few days later. (Some background: I had been an atheist since I was about 8 years old; growing up, I avoided the worst of Xtian indoctrination because my family were backsliding at that point, and rarely made a big deal out of their religion.)

After a few years of trying to get along with them--which was very difficult because they believed that "Satan had his claws in me" and I "had a cold heart" because I wouldn't accept Christ--I stopped visiting, and then I moved far away and my contact with them ended. It's been over 10 years since I've seen any of my family--the only contact has been a few very rare emails (maybe once every 3 years).

I mostly feel ok about living my life without them, but I do sometimes think about what would happen if they found out where I live and show up, or how I will react when my mother dies. I just seems like the more time passes, the less invested I am in thinking about the past, or the family that I came from...

Does anyone else have a similar story?

This is kind of a late reply, but, that's probably fine. I've managed to avoid most dramatic situations, but the ones I've had to deal with didn't make me feel wanted, so I didn't want to be around them. I see myself inevitably having to go down the same road as you, though.

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

ustream.tv