2010 Voters' Guide Methodology
The 2010 Candidate Questionnaire
contains 24 statements for which the candidates are requested to answer with
their level of agreement or disagreement. The questions appear on the
2010 Voters Guide Questions page.
The Atheist Community of Austin mailed candidates questionnaires to 455
candidates for federal and state offices who will appear on the November 2, 2010
ballots in Texas. All candidates for the following races were included:
- U. S. Representative (99 candidates)
- Texas Governor (5 candidates)
- Texas Lieutenant Governor (4 candidates)
- Texas Attorney General (3 candidates)
- Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (3 candidates)
- Texas Commissioner of the General Land Office (3 candidates)
- Texas Commissioner of Agriculture (3 candidates)
- Texas Railroad Commissioner (4 candidates)
- Texas Justice, Supreme Court (9 candidates)
- Texas Judge, Court of Criminal Appeals (7 candidates)
- Member, State Board of Education (20 candidates)
- State Senator (33 candidates)
- State Representative (262 candidates)
Candiate information was gathered from the Texas Secretary of State's
Questionnaires were mailed first-class from post offices in Austin, Texas with
postmarks of September 7, 2010. For the convenience of the candidates,
stamped return envelopes wer included in the mailing.
All questionnaires returned to the ACA by September 28, 2010 will be included
in the voters' guide. The guide will indicate a lack of response, if the
candidate did not return the questionnaire. Early voting begins
October 18, 2010.
For all questionnaires not included in the initial posting, a second (final)
posting may be made after the November 2, 2010 election. This
protocol inhibits late-responding candidates from gaining an advantage over
their early-responding competitors.
From the officers:
The ACA Lecture Series continues, Sunday September 14th at 12:15pm at the Austin History Center, 9th and Guadalupe. Chase Hunter will talk on "Inside Scientology." The Austin History Center opens at noon.
Join us for the Bat Cruise Lecture, 1:15pm September 27th at Trinity United Methodist Church, at 40th and Speedway. Lecturers will be Richard Carrier and Chris Johnson.
The ACA Bat Cruise is set for Saturday, September 27th, 6-8pm. Purchase tickets in advance here.