DRUG AND ALCOHOL SUPPORT
There are several alternatives to the 12-Step AA approach that may work better for some individuals. Five alternatives to AA include:
- SMART Recovery: Smart Management and Recovery Training focuses on empowering the individual to sustain recovery.
- LifeRing: This secular group provides a healthy network of peers focused on remaining abstinent from drugs and alcohol.
- Women for Sobriety: This nonprofit, abstinence-based program is made up of women supporting each other in recovery.
- Secular Organizations for Sobriety (SOS): This nonprofit network is made up of secular recovery-based groups.
- Moderation Management: This program is not based on abstinence but instead on learning how to moderate and control problem drinking behaviors.